10 October, 2008

Cherish all your happy moments: they make a fine cushion for old age-
Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

Saw this child's rocking chair and skates laying over the back of it at the Mountain Magic gathering in Buchanan last weekend. The quote seemed so appropriate as some of the happiest moments in life are from our childhood. Lately... I find myself looking back often on my childhood and the happy times shared with my parents including learning to skate with skates much like those on the rocker.

2 comments:

MedaM said...

I like this photo as well as the quote which, by the way, I saved among some other quotes that I like. The photo reminds me of two different periods of time in my life.
The first one was when I got my first skates. I was about 8 or 9 years old little girl. Oh God, I still remember how happy I was. I think that I was the happiest child in the whole world back then.
And the little chair from this photo reminds me of my neighbour, a wonderful man, who was a carpenter by profession. He loved children very much but he and his wife (also a great woman) couldn't have their own. When I was pregnant with my older son, who is now 25 years old, Hare (that is how we called our neighbour) made a little wooden chair (not rocking) for my child. Hare was about 40 years old when he died from cancer when my older son was only 3 month old baby. My son knows about Hare and how much he was looking forward to him to be born. We still keep a little chare in my sons' room as well as the memory of a man who was a great man and neighbour.
Thanks for sharing this photo; it brought back some nice and sad memories to me.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

those are wonderful memories. thanks for sharing them with me. i am finding that i am becoming more nostalgic lately and the smallest things seem to trigger so many emotions of my childhood and youth. i guess that is part of growing older :)